Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers
From: Mark Andy via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 14:34:09 -0400

--0000000000000655530590403ded

Howdy,

I have a B&D 36V battery string trimmer.  I'm not sure it'd run for an hour
of heavy trimming, but I'm not sure it wouldn't either.

Very much prefer it to gas powered setups because we use a trimmer
infrequently and this is just "plug in battery, pull trigger" vs. needing
to get the gas engine to run well.

I'm not sure where you are, but I'd sell you this one for $50 or whatever,
just to have an excuse to get a Milwaukee, since I've recently upgraded my
battery tools and would like to get them all onto the same battery
platform.  :-)

Mark

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 1:12 PM Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I have an Ego 56V trimmer.  It uses 0.95 line and it's hard to imagine a
> situation around a home that it couldn't handle.  You might need a pair
> of 2.5Ah batteries or the 5Ah battery if you're going to run it flat-out
> for an hour. You'll find, though, that you rarely need to run it flat
> out.  A brushless motor will have enough torque even at lower speeds to
> cut through most weeds.
>
> I also have a Stihl FS85r brushcutter (25cc, smallest of Stihl's
> blade-capable brushcutters).  The Stihl is more powerful than the Ego
> and it's what I'd use for fence rows the farm but it's overpowered for
> use around a house.  Plus it's heavier, smellier, louder (!!) and just
> plain finicky-ier than the Ego.  There's a lot to be said for being able
> to plug in a battery and being ready to go.
>
> Ego, Greenworks 60V or 80V, Dewalt 60V (they also have a 40V lineup
> aimed at landscapers), Milwaukee, and even Ryobi's 40V brushless stuff.
> Any of those brands are pretty well-reviewed and would do the job.  The
> benefit of the Dewalt and Milwaukee gear is their batteries will work
> with their other power tools.   I'd stay away from brands like Worx or
> Black & Decker.
>

> On 8/16/19 11:43 AM, Philip Nase via Shop-talk wrote:
> > I=E2=80=99m looking into replacing a 25cc gas trimmer with a cordless e=
lectric
> model. I=E2=80=99m in a rural area with a 1 acre lot. I have a fair amoun=
t of
> trimming and will need it to run an hour between charges. Does anyone hav=
> any preferences or advice on which manufacturers and models to rely on.
> Thanks.
> >
> > Phil Nase
> > Applebachsville, PA
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackhea=
ds.org

--0000000000000655530590403ded

ing trimmer.=C2=A0 I&#39;m not sure it&#39;d run for an hour of heavy trimm=
ing, but I&#39;m not sure it wouldn&#39;t either.<br><br>Very much prefer i=
t to gas powered setups because we use a trimmer infrequently and this is j=
ust &quot;plug in battery, pull trigger&quot; vs. needing to get the gas en=
gine to run well.<br><br>I&#39;m not sure where you are, but I&#39;d sell y=
ou this one for $50 or whatever, just to have an excuse to get a Milwaukee,=
 since I&#39;ve recently upgraded my battery tools and would like to get th=
ug 16, 2019 at 1:12 PM Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I have an Ego 56V trimmer=
.=C2=A0 It uses 0.95 line and it&#39;s hard to imagine a <br>
situation around a home that it couldn&#39;t handle.=C2=A0 You might need a=
 pair <br>
of 2.5Ah batteries or the 5Ah battery if you&#39;re going to run it flat-ou=
t <br>
for an hour. You&#39;ll find, though, that you rarely need to run it flat <=
br>
out.=C2=A0 A brushless motor will have enough torque even at lower speeds t=
o <br>
cut through most weeds.<br>
I also have a Stihl FS85r brushcutter (25cc, smallest of Stihl&#39;s <br>
blade-capable brushcutters).=C2=A0 The Stihl is more powerful than the Ego =
and it&#39;s what I&#39;d use for fence rows the farm but it&#39;s overpowe=
red for <br>
use around a house.=C2=A0 Plus it&#39;s heavier, smellier, louder (!!) and =
just <br>
plain finicky-ier than the Ego.=C2=A0 There&#39;s a lot to be said for bein=
g able <br>
to plug in a battery and being ready to go.<br>
Ego, Greenworks 60V or 80V, Dewalt 60V (they also have a 40V lineup <br>
aimed at landscapers), Milwaukee, and even Ryobi&#39;s 40V brushless stuff.=
=C2=A0 <br>
Any of those brands are pretty well-reviewed and would do the job.=C2=A0 Th=
e <br>
benefit of the Dewalt and Milwaukee gear is their batteries will work <br>
with their other power tools.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I&#39;d stay away from brands lik=
e Worx or <br>
Black &amp; Decker.<br>
On 8/16/19 11:43 AM, Philip Nase via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt; I=E2=80=99m looking into replacing a 25cc gas trimmer with a cordless =
electric model. I=E2=80=99m in a rural area with a 1 acre lot. I have a fai=
r amount of trimming and will need it to run an hour between charges. Does =
anyone have any preferences or advice on which manufacturers and models to =
rely on. Thanks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Phil Nase<br>
&gt; Applebachsville, PA<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>