Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers
From: Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 13:11:57 -0400
I have an Ego 56V trimmer.  It uses 0.95 line and it's hard to imagine a
situation around a home that it couldn't handle.  You might need a pair
of 2.5Ah batteries or the 5Ah battery if you're going to run it flat-out
for an hour. You'll find, though, that you rarely need to run it flat
out.  A brushless motor will have enough torque even at lower speeds to
cut through most weeds.

I also have a Stihl FS85r brushcutter (25cc, smallest of Stihl's
blade-capable brushcutters).  The Stihl is more powerful than the Ego
and it's what I'd use for fence rows the farm but it's overpowered for
use around a house.  Plus it's heavier, smellier, louder (!!) and just
plain finicky-ier than the Ego.  There's a lot to be said for being able
to plug in a battery and being ready to go.

Ego, Greenworks 60V or 80V, Dewalt 60V (they also have a 40V lineup
aimed at landscapers), Milwaukee, and even Ryobi's 40V brushless stuff.
Any of those brands are pretty well-reviewed and would do the job.  The
benefit of the Dewalt and Milwaukee gear is their batteries will work
with their other power tools.   I'd stay away from brands like Worx or
Black & Decker.