Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers

To: Shop-Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Electric String Trimmers
From: Ronnie Day via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 12:31:07 -0500

--00000000000050f41f05903f5dbc

What ever you do make sure you get a trimmer with a removable battery, and
see if you can find a bundle that includes an extra battery. They're as
expensive, if not more, than the tools!

RD

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I have an Ego 56V trimmer.  It uses 0.95 line and it's hard to imagine a
> situation around a home that it couldn't handle.  You might need a pair
> of 2.5Ah batteries or the 5Ah battery if you're going to run it flat-out
> for an hour. You'll find, though, that you rarely need to run it flat
> out.  A brushless motor will have enough torque even at lower speeds to
> cut through most weeds.
>
> I also have a Stihl FS85r brushcutter (25cc, smallest of Stihl's
> blade-capable brushcutters).  The Stihl is more powerful than the Ego
> and it's what I'd use for fence rows the farm but it's overpowered for
> use around a house.  Plus it's heavier, smellier, louder (!!) and just
> plain finicky-ier than the Ego.  There's a lot to be said for being able
> to plug in a battery and being ready to go.
>
> Ego, Greenworks 60V or 80V, Dewalt 60V (they also have a 40V lineup
> aimed at landscapers), Milwaukee, and even Ryobi's 40V brushless stuff.
> Any of those brands are pretty well-reviewed and would do the job.  The
> benefit of the Dewalt and Milwaukee gear is their batteries will work
> with their other power tools.   I'd stay away from brands like Worx or
> Black & Decker.
>

> On 8/16/19 11:43 AM, Philip Nase via Shop-talk wrote:
> > I=E2=80=99m looking into replacing a 25cc gas trimmer with a cordless e=
lectric
> model. I=E2=80=99m in a rural area with a 1 acre lot. I have a fair amoun=
t of
> trimming and will need it to run an hour between charges. Does anyone hav=
> any preferences or advice on which manufacturers and models to rely on.
> Thanks.
> >
> > Phil Nase
> > Applebachsville, PA
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/mayfield+shoptalk@sackhea=
ds.org

--00000000000050f41f05903f5dbc

ble battery, and see if you can find a bundle that includes an extra batter=
ail_attr">On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 12:12 PM Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk &l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-talk@autox.team.net";>shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>&=
gt; wrote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0=
px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">I hav=
e an Ego 56V trimmer.=C2=A0 It uses 0.95 line and it&#39;s hard to imagine =
a <br>
situation around a home that it couldn&#39;t handle.=C2=A0 You might need a=
 pair <br>
of 2.5Ah batteries or the 5Ah battery if you&#39;re going to run it flat-ou=
t <br>
for an hour. You&#39;ll find, though, that you rarely need to run it flat <=
br>
out.=C2=A0 A brushless motor will have enough torque even at lower speeds t=
o <br>
cut through most weeds.<br>
I also have a Stihl FS85r brushcutter (25cc, smallest of Stihl&#39;s <br>
blade-capable brushcutters).=C2=A0 The Stihl is more powerful than the Ego =
and it&#39;s what I&#39;d use for fence rows the farm but it&#39;s overpowe=
red for <br>
use around a house.=C2=A0 Plus it&#39;s heavier, smellier, louder (!!) and =
just <br>
plain finicky-ier than the Ego.=C2=A0 There&#39;s a lot to be said for bein=
g able <br>
to plug in a battery and being ready to go.<br>
Ego, Greenworks 60V or 80V, Dewalt 60V (they also have a 40V lineup <br>
aimed at landscapers), Milwaukee, and even Ryobi&#39;s 40V brushless stuff.=
=C2=A0 <br>
Any of those brands are pretty well-reviewed and would do the job.=C2=A0 Th=
e <br>
benefit of the Dewalt and Milwaukee gear is their batteries will work <br>
with their other power tools.=C2=A0=C2=A0 I&#39;d stay away from brands lik=
e Worx or <br>
Black &amp; Decker.<br>
On 8/16/19 11:43 AM, Philip Nase via Shop-talk wrote:<br>
&gt; I=E2=80=99m looking into replacing a 25cc gas trimmer with a cordless =
electric model. I=E2=80=99m in a rural area with a 1 acre lot. I have a fai=
r amount of trimming and will need it to run an hour between charges. Does =
anyone have any preferences or advice on which manufacturers and models to =
rely on. Thanks.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Phil Nase<br>
&gt; Applebachsville, PA<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; <a href=3D"mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net"; target=3D"_blank">Shop-tal=
k@autox.team.net</a><br>
&gt; Donate: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/donate.html"; rel=3D"noreferrer"=
 target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
&gt; Suggested annual donation=C2=A0 $12.96<br>
&gt; Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"no=
referrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a =
href=3D"http://autox.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://autox.team.net/archive</a><br>