Re: [Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] add water to "maintenance-free" battery?
From: Bob Spidell via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2019 07:53:32 -0700

--------------821E997EE132A12CCCB136F9

How old is the battery?  If you got more than 5 years out of it you got
your money's worth (I've noticed battery quality has largely gone down
since most are now Hecho En Mexico, even 'name' brands; Deka, for one,
is still made in the 'States and is excellent quality).

The unloaded voltage doesn't mean much; an almost dead battery can still
measure > 12V.    You need a load tester to tell for sure if the battery
is still good; HF has a cheap one, but only pulls 100amps so is probably
a waste of money, I have one similar to this (but the cables get very
hot very quickly):

*https://tinyurl.com/y3l68nfd*

There are (much) more expensive ones available for 'professional' use
that have fans for cooling and are probably best.  Maybe you can rent
one or get AutoZone or some other parts house to test for you?

AFAIK there is no way to add water to sealed 'maintenance-free'
batteries (and if you did, it likely wouldn't remain 'sealed' any longer).

Bob

On 7/21/2019 3:18 PM, Lee Daniels via Shop-talk wrote:
> I suspect this has come up before, but my quick archive search didn't turn up
> anything.
>
> The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer
> most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"
> like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for
> a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a drive,
> it starts normally.
>
> It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh,
> can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the battery.
> See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, but
> the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying.
>
> Out of the car, I measure >12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc. Is
> there anything I can do with this thing?
>
> Thanks
>   Lee

--------------821E997EE132A12CCCB136F9

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      you got your money's worth (I've noticed battery quality has
      largely gone down since most are now Hecho En Mexico, even 'name'
      brands; Deka, for one, is still made in the 'States and is
      excellent quality).</p>
      can still measure &gt; 12V.    You need a load tester to tell for
      sure if the battery is still good; HF has a cheap one, but only
      pulls 100amps so is probably a waste of money, I have one similar
      to this (but the cables get very hot very quickly):</p>
      use that have fans for cooling and are probably best.  Maybe you
      can rent one or get AutoZone or some other parts house to test for
      you?</p>
      batteries (and if you did, it likely wouldn't remain 'sealed' any
      longer).</p>
      Shop-talk wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:8704ae3ea3ff1a24efd551c1e13fb73a.squirrel@automate-it.com">
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">I suspect this has come up before, but
my quick archive search didn't turn up
anything.

The DieHard in my TR6 is several years old, but it sits on a Battery MINDer
most of the time. Lately when I start the car, I first get one short "Rrr"
like a dead battery. But keep trying and it turns over *very* reluctantly for
a few revs, then (so far) builds speed, and eventually starts. After a drive,
it starts normally.

It's now sat for a day, so I figured I'd check the water level - but, uh-oh,
can't figure out a way to get the cover off without tearing up the battery.
See attached photo. I can pry on the two ends and get them to barely move, but
the edges of the cover don't budge with gentle prying.

Out of the car, I measure &gt;12.8V, and it's never had any corrosion etc. Is
there anything I can do with this thing?

Thanks
 Lee</pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"