Re: [Shop-talk] Storing garden hoses

To: Arvid Jedlicka <arvidj@visi.com>, Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Storing garden hoses
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:54:37 -0700
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=dk12062016; d=earthlink.net; b=MBoeBx21QE12i+lyD7Mw7pLCcZhREplkVtiNmCDqnc2QHac37j79DjfAq7nBlWs3C+NpOxOFnt4HyxGBm/WNyL8PdHL7I5qETP1ScdSYXqT9rz4+jbeRdxY5q0dTuBH2CJKIu1F6Z5YjK27lKGdgj6WskeqyuxdillQU4eBNOlSUzY2oCgT1f78HxqFSyIgKW7mlx/MmvG48pJTmjiwI4tkAxe47VROsSisoPK4vKbyb6GaQyMMXE8tcn2uF1RYwOK0/m+eEVZ2Htkl5up7HlgVKbV2SB6eOTdoSe0xOVi0FQwnyIk6il+BWE0Ra0vHthtcz8j8OrvfOPGz4kOwT9g==; h=Received:Subject:To:References:From:Message-ID:Date:User-Agent:MIME-Version:In-Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Language:X-ELNK-Trace:X-Originating-IP;

--------------E5F5F20F35187C1FB0275C31

Do you have exposed joists in the garage?  If so, just attach a 2' long
2x4 and hang the coiled hoses.  You should be able to get 2 per side.
Take a segment of 12 or 14 gauge electrical wire and use it as an
oversized twist tie to keep the hose together.  If you put the 2x4
across the top of the joist, it should leave plenty of headroom.

On 10/10/2018 6:07 AM, Arvid Jedlicka wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions.
>
> A little research on my part may have helped. It seem like the
> diameter of the garden hose "package" when you buy it nicely coiled up
> in the store is around 15 inches. I am assuming that I have neither
> the skills nor the patience to to re-coil it as neatly as the
> manufacturer did. I therefore am assuming the solution will need to
> have at least a 15 inch inside diameter.
>
> 5 gallon buckets are about 12 inches, but I will give it a try this
> weekend based on the price and availability of 5 gallon buckets though
> I am not optimistic [see previous skill and patience disclaimer].
>
> Sonotube may also work. Home Depot has 16 inch ... actually Quik-Tube
> from Quickrete ... for $15 that may work. The SawsAll will make the 48
> inch long tube into four 12 inch tubes and I'd have to fabricate a
> bottom for each but some 1/4 hardboard and construction adhesive may
> resolve that challenge.
>
> Plastic garbage cans seem to fit the dimension requirements. Menard's
> has Rubbermaid Heavy Duty 32 gallon for $10 after rebate ... complete
> with an impressive Menard's logo on them!!!. The challenge there is
> how to store 6 hoses in a way that would allow random access to any
> individual hose. The 6 buckets and a SawsAll session to cut them down
> to a reasonable size solution seems a little wasteful. However, If the
> 5 gallon buckets don't work out and the Quik-Tube looks like to much
> work then buying a few buckets, calling it done and moving on to
> something I really do want to work on may be the best solution.
>
> Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll let you know what works out,
> Arvid

--------------E5F5F20F35187C1FB0275C31

  <head>
  </head>
    Do you have exposed joists in the garage?  If so, just attach a 2'
    long 2x4 and hang the coiled hoses.  You should be able to get 2 per
    side.  Take a segment of 12 or 14 gauge electrical wire and use it
    as an oversized twist tie to keep the hose together.  If you put the
    2x4 across the top of the joist, it should leave plenty of headroom.<br>
      wrote:<br>
        arial,helvetica,sans-serif">Thanks for the suggestions.<br>
        A little research on my part may
        have helped. It seem like the diameter of the garden hose
        "package" when you buy it nicely coiled up in the store is
        around 15 inches. I am assuming
        that I have neither the skills nor the patience to to re-coil it
        as neatly as the manufacturer did. I therefore am assuming the
        solution will need to
        have at least a 15 inch inside diameter.<br>
        5 gallon buckets are about 12 inches, but I will give it a try
        this weekend based on the price and
        availability of 5 gallon buckets though I am not optimistic [see
        previous skill and patience disclaimer]. <br>
        Sonotube may also work. Home Depot
        has 16 inch ... actually Quik-Tube from Quickrete ... for $15
        that may work. The SawsAll will make the 48 inch long tube into
        four 12 inch tubes and
        I'd have to fabricate a bottom for each but some 1/4 hardboard
        and construction adhesive may resolve that challenge.<br>
        Plastic garbage cans seem
        to fit the dimension requirements. Menard's has Rubbermaid Heavy
        Duty 32 gallon for $10 after rebate ... complete with an
        impressive Menard's logo on
        them!!!. The challenge there is how to store 6 hoses in a way
        that would allow random access to any individual hose. The 6
        buckets and a SawsAll
        session to cut them down to a reasonable size solution seems a
        little wasteful. However, If the 5 gallon buckets don't work out
        and the Quik-Tube
        looks like to much work then buying a few buckets, calling it
        done and moving on to something I really do want to work on may
        be the best
        solution.<br>
        Thanks again for the suggestions and I'll let you know what
        works out,<br>
        Arvid<br>

<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:Shop-talk@autox.team.net";>Shop-talk@autox.team.net</a>