Re: [Shop-talk] spam email just keeps on coming

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] spam email just keeps on coming
From: Todd Walke <racertod@racertodd.com> localhost.scooter.p.blarg.net
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 17:41:41 -0700
         Sometimes you just get on a list somewhere and you get flooded
with spam for awhile, then it goes away then back again.  All a part of
being on an Internet with no controls on who gets on the system.

         I use a local ISP (Avvanta.com) that has a spam filter.  It
catches 20-50 spam emails per day.  It stores them on their server so I can
check what they caught for any legit stuff that got flagged by the
filter.  I can whitelist those addresses so that doesn't happen again.  The
filter is rule based, putting a score on each email.  I can adjust the
threshold score that causes email to be marked spam to find a balance
between letting good stuff in and keeping the bad out.

         Also, when I updated to the latest version of Norton AntiVirus, it
included a spam filter for email that catches the remaining 5-10 per day
that get through Avvanta.  It adds "Norton AntiSpam" to the subject
line.  I have my email program dump email with those words in the subject
line into a spam folder which I check regularly to see if anything legit is
in there.

Todd
Seattle,WA
'86 GTI, Red of course. (exciting racey car) 276,000 miles
'01 Golf TDI, silver.   (new work car)       539,000 miles
'87 Golf, Polar Silver. (retired work car)   654,000 miles <- Gone to a new
home :(
http://www.pureluckdesign.com <-Ferrari & VW stuff