Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer

To: Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Enclosed car trailer
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 17:30:56 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 8, 2015, at 3:49 PM, Brad Kahler <bkahler1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Sometime in the next 6 months or so I'm thinking about buying an enclosed
> car trailer for hauling my TR6 behind my motorhome.
>
> For those of you who may have been down this road I'd like to ask a few
> questions:
>
> 1)  Did you use E-track for tying the car down?
No but use it to hold other stuff down, and on the walls.

> 2)  If you used E-track how did you fasten it to the floor?
One inch wood screws into the deck. Lots of them, every hole.

> 3)  If you used E-track how hard is it to tire bonnets with ratchets on a
> small car like a TR6?
Haven't tied the car down with that. I tie to recessed rings in the floor, two
front, two rear, with ratchets hooking to dedicated welded loops on the
crossmember in front if, under the spring axle mounts in rear (live axle,
though.)

> 4)  If you didn't use E-track how did you tie the car down?
See above

> 5)  Did you get an extended tongue?
No

> 6)  Would you prefer a torsion axle over leaf springs?
Springs but hard to find I think.

> 7)  Did you get any 120vac wiring installed or did you wire it yourself for
> 120vac?
Not yet

> 8)  Did you opt for a roof top air conditioner?
No

> 9)  Did you buy a 7' wide, 8' wide or 8'-6" wide trailer?  And why did you
> select that width?
8'6" to accommodate my Mustang and like cars, and walk around space and in/out
ability with my MGA.