Re: [Shop-talk] Refrigerator

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, "Shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Refrigerator
From: Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:23:29 -0700
Scott - I have a bottom freezer with french doors on the top for the
fridge in my kitchen.  The nice thing about the two doors on top is you
don't need as much space to open the doors.  My parents had a regular
1980's vintage fridge in their garage and you couldn't open the door all
the way if a car was in the garage.  We have a compact kitchen and it is
much nicer to have the french door design compared to the older top
freezer if there is more than one person in the kitchen.

When looking for my current fridge I quickly eliminated a side by side
because you couldn't put a frozen pizza in freezer side.

That said, in your case I'd probably just get a basic white or black top
freezer of large enough capacity for your family to save money. I'd even
skip the ice maker and water dispenser since you are not likely to want
them in the garage anyway and they take away space. Look for a 4th of
July advertised special to save even more.

Congratulations on the foreclosure.  I got mine in 2009.  It took 6
weeks of evening and weekend work to be able to move in, but we are in a
great location and the house is now worth much more than we paid.  If
you have not already done so, I recommend a professional home inspection
to help you identify any issues you might have missed.  If you are in a
termite area, also get a professional termite company to inspect the
property.  I would consider it to be a small insurance policy to catch
things early before they become more of a problem

I'm in the middle of a double bathroom renovation that involved both rot
and termite damage.  In addition, before you start putting the kitchen
back together, make sure the subfloor is absolutely solid under the old
fridge/dishwasher/sink areas in case they had water damage.  Stiffen up
the floor if needed if you intend to put in tile.  I replaced my
bathroom 1x6 diagonal board with 3/4" plywood topped with 1/2" plywood
(offset joints) and it is solid - no cracked grout like the old floor.
It took a day of work, but I'm very happy that I know all the wood is
good and the rot is gone.

Brian