Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?

To: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>, shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Wifi access point?
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2015 22:42:56 -0500
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:22 PM, Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doug is correct - this is exactly how large offices, stadiums, Home Depot
> and other commercial facilities illuminate large/densely populated
> environments with good coverage.
>
> His client won't see multiple networks - it will see multiple access points
> with the same SSID, and will choose the one that presents the best signal
> (with an algorithm that will choose when it is time to move to a different
> access point). I do this at work and here at home, and it does not require
> anything fancy or special. Wifi networks can achieve optimal client handoff
> between access points with the use of central management (like cell phones
> do), but it will work very well without it.

For small and medium sized networks, I've had very good success with
ubiquiti's Unifi stuff.  Bunch of different models, to do different
things, including point to point links and out doors coverage.
Reasonably priced, for good gear.  (The basic 2.4 ghz 802.11n models
are dirt cheap; the rest of the line is just not expensive by the
standards of commerical gear.)

They're just APs, you'd need a dhcp server, router, etc.  There's a
java based management system, which needn't run except when you're
managing them (or if you want to do some stuff that are out of scope
for shop talk.)

The ones at work seemlessly dealt with the switch that several of them
are plugged into failing, falling back into relay over wireless to
stations that still had working ethernet, and dealt with the switch
coming back to life, no problem.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com