Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking

To: Matt <mbarre@juno.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Composite Decking
From: Ian McFetridge <shop-talk2@mcfetridge.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 08:24:05 -0400
Cc: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Matt,

I would be very careful in selecting the brand of composite decking.  When
we built a deck in 2004, the contractor swore that he had great results
from Geodeck...they are now out of business and you can read some of the
horror stories on ConsumerReports
<http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/home-improvement/decking/decking-material-ratings/models/overview/geodeck-tongue-and-groove-99014034.htm>
.

Some issues we had, and to be on the lookout with any vendor, include:
-- composites have much different thermal and water expansion properties.
Our deck was in the sun and the 16' boards would lengthen about a 1/32"
every foot in the heat of summer -- yes, that is about 1/2" on a 16'
board!  Our fascia was nailed up to the ends of the boards with an 1/8" gap
and quickly became warped and had to be replaced.
-- the fasteners were hidden, went through the tongue, and were covered by
the next board.  With the expansion of the boards, they simply could not
hold them in place and large gaps opened up in the boards.  We had to
face-screw them.
-- the boards had channels that held water and had the usual problems where
water is held, mildew, freeze/thaw, etc.

- Ian