[Shop-talk] A mini drill press that doesn't suck?

To: Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] A mini drill press that doesn't suck?
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 13:49:45 -0400
Hello,

I have a cheapo benchtop mini drill press that cost maybe $69.95.
It is sized right for my workbench, but it has an AC motor that stalls
easily, and
the quill is very sloppy, so the drill bit can jiggle side-to-side about
1/16".

Does anybody know if there is a source for a better model?  ALL the ones I
have ever seen in
stores, etc. are made in China, and their precision seems to be pretty
random- the display model could have a quill with no slop, but then the one
I bring home could be much worse.

And I have never seen a drill press that had the equivalent of gibs, which
would let me adjust away the slop.

I'd love to get a mini-mill to use instead, but those need at least 36" of
bench width, which I simply don't have.

Thanks,

Doug