Re: [Shop-talk] A mini drill press that doesn't suck?

To: Shop-Talk <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] A mini drill press that doesn't suck?
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 20:34:58 +0000
> I'd love to get a mini-mill to use instead, but those need at least 36" of
> bench width, which I simply don't have.

How about a Sherline mill head (which I believe they will sell separately)
attached to the column of your existing press?

Otherwise, I would ignore country of origin and instead look for a reputable
maker.  Not everything made in China is junk.

Delta has apparently quit making their benchtop press, but I still see models
from Jet and Rockwell.  They should be pretty good, even if they are from China.

Another thought would be looking into your existing press and see if it can be
improved.  Maybe you can add shims to the fit between the quill and the
housing; or even cut some tapered slots and add gibs.

Randall