Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tapping off a crimp connector?
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 11:44:26 -0600
I've never been a fan of the Scotch-lock connectors that let you tap into
an existing wire by crimping them on. They actually cut through the
insulation and often some of the wire strands. If there's flex or
vibration, like on a bike, they will often cut completely through the
original wire. That said, the Posi-Lock looks like a better solution
because it appears to isolate the joint with the cover. I like soldering,
but not on a bike, again because of higher vibration.

You can get connectors with different sized terminals that work with
different gauge wire. For example a quarter inch female spade connector
that the wire end is sized for small (red insulator-?), medium (blue-?) or
large (yellow) wire. You get the connector with the correct connector
flavor to plug on to the relay, but with the wire end big enough to
accommodate two wires. Use good quality crimpers. Cheap crimpers are
usually as big a culprit as the crimp connects.

You mentioned weather proofing concerns, too. Use heat shrink, probably
multiple layers. I picked some so called "weather proof" connectors, at a
local O'Reilly's, I recall. They had lengths (a couple of inches) of heat
shrink already attached as well as having some sealer inside the tubing.
After I crimped them on to the wire and used a heat gun, the none hardening
sealer created about as water proof a connection as is possible, and since
the connectors weren't soldered they weren't as prone to breaking due to
vibration. A little more expensive, but worth it, IMO.

FWIW,
Ron