Re: [Shop-talk] Learning to weld on your own?

To: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>, Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Learning to weld on your own?
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2013 2:01:18 +0000
---- Darrell Walker <darrellw360@mac.com> wrote:
> I have some body repairs I'd like to do on my TR8, and I'm wondering about the
> feasibility of learning to weld well enough to do them on my own.  I've
> checked the local community college, and the only welding classes they have
> are geared toward students preparing for a career in welding, they don't have
> any "Adult Ed" type classes.

So?  They still teach you to weld, and surely you can manage to tolerate
standing next to some pimply faced kid.  A friend of mine recently took some
welding classes at our local community college, and he was very pleased.  I
keep planning to take some myself, but there never seems to be enough time. (I
actually kind of envy him getting laid off.) You might also try a vocational
college, they get a lot of displaced workers looking for a new trade so you
should fit right in.

> 1.  Is it reasonable to think that I could teach myself to weld well enough to
> do these jobs?  I definitely don't want to make anything worse in attempting
> fix anything.

I have dabbled some with teaching myself.  I believe it can be done, but you're
talking about a lot of time and a lot of practice even after obtaining and
reading some textbooks on the subject.  Run a bead, compare it to the book.
Repeat until you can consistently match the book.  Now cut it apart for
inspection, adjust your technique for penetration, etc. and do it all again.
Now repeat the process, using metal and joints similar to what you want to do
on the car.  Might want to visit the local junkyard for some car parts to cut
apart (or drill) and weld back together.

Also poke around on YouTube; there are all sorts of "how to" videos.

> 2.  What kind of equipment would be required?  Would one of the inexpensive
> 110V welders be sufficient?

IMHO, although you might get away with 110v, you'll want one a better quality
machine.  Those cheapies at HF are just junk.  Look for something with a
contactor (so the torch is not electrically hot when the button isn't pressed)
and the more current/voltage settings the better.  A good welder can adjust
movement to match the machine, but I'm not that good.

>  Would a TIG matter over a flux wire-feed for
> these jobs?

Flux core makes an awful mess; IMO you shouldn't even consider it.  MIG is
probably the best choice for sheet metal on a budget.  TIG is great, but the
price of admission is significantly higher.

Another method that might be worth looking into (although it's much less
popular) is torch brazing.  It's slower and more expensive, but IMO you are
less likely to ruin your original sheet metal (since it doesn't get melted at
all).  I don't claim to be good at it, but I can braze much better than I can
stick weld.  And you can get started with just a MAPP gas torch and some rod.

> 3.  How much paint should be removed around the repair holes?

You'll need several inches, at least.  Remember the metal is heated to melting
point where you are welding, so it's going to ruin the paint even outside the
"heat affected zone".

--- Randall