Re: [Shop-talk] Learning to weld on your own?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Learning to weld on your own?
From: Mike Rambour <lists@dinospider.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 16:15:02 -0700
  Handy with your hands ? you can do it.

  I learned to weld with a oxy/acet torch and I find filling holes like
you are talking about easier with that but can be done with MIG or TIG.

  The MIG is ideal for replacing body panels.  For the holes it would be
best if you can  get some copper behind the hole just for welding
purposes, that makes it pretty easy to fill holes.

  I actually went to the Lincoln school of welding when I got serious
about car work, great way to spend a weeks vacation :) But the level of
work you are talking around did not need that week of schooling.   If
you get a MIG, be warned my friends joked that I was using my MIG as a
Plasma cutter because on thin metals I would create more holes then I
was repairing.  For me (and maybe me only) I find TIG much easier but I
torch welded for 30+ years before I tried the MIG, most people don't
have the trouble I had with MIG.   I was able to pick up TIG in no time
due to the my oxy/acet experience.

  I assume you meant MIG in your email, I would go with gas for any body
work and avoid flux wire (just for clean up purposes, the weld is fine),
if you meant TIG, that is the best in my opinion and yes it will do a
better job then a MIG.  But remember a MIG is measured in feet per
minute and a TIG weld in inches per minute. They are both great tools, I
think MIG is better suited for thin sheet metal work if you can do it
right.  But I go years without touching my MIG and use my TIG a few
times a month.  I did do a exhaust for the daughters boyfriend's car
last month and since I was welding on my back with the car barely off
the ground I appreciated the MIG but I would have done a better looking
job with TIG.

  So PRACTICE PRACTICE and when you are ready to start the real work,
PRACTICE one more time and then come back here and brag how great a job
you did.

     Mike