Re: [Shop-talk] Rust belt truck?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rust belt truck?
From: Matt Wehland <mjw@littlegrassy.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:43:01 -0500
It's not the frame rust that will be a problem, it's everything else
that is rusted.
Brake lines, fuel lines, every fastener, bolt, fitting.
I live in Northern IL and have had salted vehicles my whole life.
I'm in the process of replacing all the rusted out brake lines on my
mustang is right now.
The fuel lines will be next.
The body is in good shape, but everything underneath is rusted.

Penetrating oil will be your friend, spray early, spray often.  I like
to start spraying fasteners long before starting to work on the parts,
if I have the chance.

The nicest vehicle I had to work on was was a Suburban from texas that
hadn't seen salt.  It was so nice to just put a wrench to things and
have them come apart.
Quickest repair jobs I ever did, an I finished with a smile on my face.

Just something else to keep in mind.
Matt

--
Matt Wehland