Re: [Shop-talk] Rust belt truck?

To: Pat Horne <pat@hornesystemstx.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Rust belt truck?
From: John Innis <jdinnis@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 07:20:29 -0500
Cc: Shop Talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
The frame rust is generally not a big deal, especially if the truck is
being moved out of the corrosive environment.  There are some places where
the rust is going to be a pain in the rear when you go to work on the
truck, as fasteners will be rusty, difficult to remove, and need to be
replaced instead of reused.  I have an '88 Chevy pickup with a fair amount
of frame rust that has been a midwest plow truck all it's life and I have
no major issues with it.  I also have a '95 Suburban that has 240k on it,
all in Iowa, all in snow ice and salt.  The only issue I had on the
Suburban was the hard fuel lines at the tank rusting out, and that didn't
happen till last year at 220k.  You do need to be more careful of trucks
that have been wrecked and are rusty, as these may have hidden frame
damage.  If that truck were offered to me today, I'd take it.  It is a good
price for that year and mileage if it is all in working order.