Re: [Shop-talk] Routers, again

To: shoptalk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Routers, again
From: Battmain <battmain@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2013 16:09:59 -0700 (PDT)
Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.com; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Rocket-MIMEInfo:X-Mailer:References:Message-ID:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=NfPtxit6Y0rn2kEW8ANIqHYf44yVsyLZFbg0nNdv1IqDp4rLTiJEshGNA1FSzJ8VfRNKAV7szoYxspXipnDazPgATyRTpi527KkgJVoXxkL3SsNoQKtv7TA40XQ1wJ3iVqKtXAbFKArt9RPz72EkGx8tP/GYcLNEI38hVcbjAbo= ; WNb_vzJOC69VlnLo9lRNwWgUUANcGY49sO3OeHReg.Q7TTCAloCKgiG1Xe1V D30Iqw3Vp5uitn07Zpik5FnYO2TaAjHFEBf0dQAHKRDehkzw1k6pLsCK0fn. N7Rf86_6iAsz2xjqmaDcV1_0TwrYOZYjVaIKEBtd16Fu49iL9HkMqUGTZ.IG Q53PmcyvCP6TpSeSQFCgK0PAQ152fLTznJDcsbIZXimk4Y.Nd1lVqpl829rk tX2S.5xvK12cD_kLddWCzuBmHpJ8UXeXN4GC2cO5sYAcUq4poBLfSqgV2blR 5prQEIqjWdzaHnHw6hNfG0PLCnjgDr20W2cYchRqS5GsDVMvL_uQh3qgpEiB U_XMXi09k1wGfvApCozfZnAh1ETx6fA0LMbAdTbsOCMk55IYU6p1N5NpKPg_ dL5t2f65XulhXloB5GNVbLOQWpX2833z4jbs5Gsa8muAauAAxUyYZBEyD6jd X2zFZXY6f0zzO8IQhwzL4Er7Y.d_9wDujWoAHETKPozQThczP7e0GLxwXruH rCQZ4wiLh1uHjp85.34mbavCbZMj2BFnzlDtU_fflWa3nMcSyq7F9_3MYuCV HY2Lr2uVfXq8JF7gfaW9pb5iefqiVA4Tt5Q0eAk_Ygnn95LFuTkAH7g--
For DSL, IMO, you're not really gaining anything by replacing the router,
unless you want to update the wireless
security. Older routers did WEP
encryption, the newer ones do WPA2, which is what the newer wireless cards
handle.
To communicate with the wireless devices, you have wireless N, but
upcoming is wireless AC. So may want to wait
for everybody to get to the
standard. It's a mismatch at the moment, quite similar to how wireless N was
when it was introduced.

I think we need to determine first if you're going
to move from DSL to cable internet. (like I'm going to do.)
If so, then it
will be worth it to get a DOCSIS 3.0 modem which increases the throughput at
high speed. The
forums are reporting noticeable speed improvement after
upgrading their modems from docsis 2.0.
Then the router needs to be able to
handle the high speed data without choking. The ASUS  wireless AC routers
are
getting mixed  reviews. I've read both good and bad about them.

Brian

-----