Re: [Shop-talk] GM rear axle C-clip removal

Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] GM rear axle C-clip removal
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 15:45:33 -0700
Cc: "'Shop Talk'" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
> Sometimes you can weld a bead along the inside of the race
> and when it shrinks it'll shrink the race a little, enough to
> get it out.  Or you can weld a piece of steel across the race
> and use that to grab on to pull it out.

Thanks for the suggestions.  My problem wasn't so much grabbing the race, as
persuading it to move afterwards.  The failing bearing evidently got hot
enough to spot-weld the race to the housing.

But after slicing with the Dremel, I was able to break and collapse the
race.  Since I haven't got 220v run to the garage yet, it was definitely
faster than breaking out the welder ... Not to mention less chance of
setting things on fire <g>
(I'm kind of a klutz at welding)

Randall