[Shop-talk] Repairing plastic - weld or glue?

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Shop-talk] Repairing plastic - weld or glue?
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:43:31 -0500 FILETIME=[8B70DDA0:01CE244B]
The plastic catch that holds the door closed on my refrigerator recently
broke.  While it isn't necessary to the question I am about to ask, there are
photos and more details about the broken part here:
http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/refrigerator-freezer-repair/519815-broken
-door-catch.html#post803233

GE, in their infinite wisdom, doesn't sell a replacement catch alone; you have
to buy a new door seal.  Nor to they even sell just one side alone (it is a
side-by-side fridge); you have to buy both sides for $225!  That is a heck of
a lot of money to spend for a small piece of plastic.  So, I would like to try
to repair this one before shelling out for the replacement pieces.  I have
never had much luck gluing plastic, even with glues said to be made for it.
And, the fact that this piece is under stress every time the door opens and
closes (let alone the fact that it failed under such stress) doesn't give me
much confidence in glue.  Still, if there is a glue or solvent that someone
here knows of and thinks I should try, I am all ears.

My other option is to purchase a plastic welder, something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/plastic-welding-kit-with-adjustable-temperature-
96464.html  I have been interested in buying one of these for a while, and
buying a $50 tool I can use again vs. paying $225 is a no-brainer, if this has
a good chance of working.  Does anyone here have experience with one of these
or a competitor's product?  What are the odds of my being able to join the two
pieces together well enough to stand up to repeated openings and closings?

Thanks.
Jim