[Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [Shop-talk] Tell me about transponder keys
From: Dave C <cavanadd@frontier.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:54:14 -0700
I just got a 2013 Subaru Forester.  It apparently uses transponder
keys.  It looks like the days of having a cheap copy cut to keep in my
wallet are over.  So what's the deal with transponder keys?  Can Ace
Hardware clone them?  What's the deal about only being able to "program"
a maximum of four keys for the car (as per the manual)? Can I make an
unlimited number of clones?   Why is everything such a PITA these days?
    (I feel a rant coming on....)

FWIW this car DOES NOT have remote start, although of course it does
have remote door lock fobs.

Thanks
Dave