Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing plastic - weld or glue?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Repairing plastic - weld or glue?
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:43:11 -0400
On 3/18/2013 10:43 PM, Jim Stone wrote:
> The plastic catch that holds the door closed on my refrigerator recently
> broke.  While it isn't necessary to the question I am about to ask, there are
> photos and more details about the broken part here:

Sorry, but it won't let you view pix unless registered & logged in.

> GE, in their infinite wisdom, doesn't sell a replacement catch alone; you have
> to buy a new door seal.  Nor to they even sell just one side alone (it is a

Might be able to find a new or partial replacement on ebay. To glue or
weld, you need to know what kind of plastic it is. There are lots of
guides on the 'net but some require destructive testing. Solvent cements
work real well with a compatible plastic. Welding won't work if it's a
thermoset plastic (one that will burn, not melt when heated.)

There are also services on ebay and elsewhere that will crank out 3D
printed parts cheaply, given a CAD file of what you need.

-wc