Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Alternative kitchen countertops?
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:10:14 -0500
Cc: shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
I should have given more details.  It's concrete that's mixed with a fairly
coarse aggregate, and then the voids are filled with the black epoxy you
see.  You can make concrete just about any color you want, and you can get
different color/size aggregate to really spice it up.  A friend did
concrete counters with ribbons of copper in it.  I've also seen various
colors of glass pebbles or chips used.

FWIW, the material cost of the counter in the picture was ~$100.  But my
brother pours a lot of stuff like this as a hobby and already had the
expensive equipment (vibrator, diamond wheels for the angle grinder, etc).

I just wanted to put it out there because I saw people dismissing concrete
and I wanted people see that it could come out pretty nice.

-Paul