Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe

To: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe
From: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 21:11:20 -0600
Thanks guys.  Some interesting approaches, but none that will probably keep
the lawyers at bay.  (Although the "imported boy" idea might actually work, it
could also bring a different kind of lawyer my way.)  Blocking the halls would
stop someone falling in from the bedrooms, but not an absent-minded person
(like yours truly) from taking a dive on the way to the bathroom from the
living room.

The ideal would be some kind of strut that would 1) make the door easier to
open and 2) cause it to automatically close a few seconds after being opened.
I doubt anything like that exists.  I can envision an elaborate system where
three barriers would 'unfold' when the door was opened, one of which could
swing away to allow entry to the steps.  However, this would be well beyond my
ability to design and execute, so I suspect I will be getting the padlock
out.

But, please feel free to drop me a line if any of you wake up in the middle of
the night with a sudden flash of insight.  One never knows...

Thanks again,

Jim

> From: jniolon@att.net
> To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
> Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:05:33 -0600
> Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe
>
> boy, there are some elaborate ideas here... might be cheaper to hire a small
> imported boy with a yellow caution flag to watch the hole...
>
> I'm liking something like a 'slam latch' like on truck under body tool
> boxes... it's flush..(covers with a rug with no trip hazard)... .it locks
> and the barrier tape/rope/chain that someone mentioned before... pull it
> across the hall when the door is open... you could also use it for a queue
> line at the bathroom door if necessary !
>
> john

Then