Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe

To: Jim Stone <jandkstone99@msn.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Making a trap door safe
From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanzky@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:12:27 -0500
Cc: shop talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
You can block the hallway when the door is open (think those retractable
belts they use for queues at the movie theater).  Google "Wall mounted belt
barrier."  When you are going to open the door, you pull one of those
across each end of the hallway to warn people that it is up.  Of course,
that only works if it's used.

Another option would be to install an automatic closer on the door.  Then
the door wouldn't be open when somebody wasn't there holding it.  However,
I think that this would probably make the door treacherous (and extremely
inconvenient) to use.  In the end, you'd probably install a catch chain to
hold it open and then there's not much point to the closer...

I think that if you're worried about being sued, the best bet is to lock
that door and have renters go outside.  When you use the place, a piece of
rope across each end of the hall should be warning enough if you can trust
your family to use it.

Good Luck,

-Paul