Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 16:39:56 -0500
If you are picking up the car at an airport, and you are able to sign
up for the company's "elite" membership (for example Avis Preferred or
National Emerald Club), definitely do it (I believe it is free).  Then
you can go directly to your car instead of having to wait in line at a
counter to fill out a bunch of paperwork.  And these days, a lot the
rental companies let their elite customers select any available car in
the correct price class: just walk down the line of parked cars, and
choose the one that catches your fancy.

The major companies tend to be quick and easy, especially at airports.
 It's the low-budget operations that tend to be a pain, especially
about minor damage.  I rent 4-5 times a year from Hertz or Avis, and I
can't ever remember having a problem with damage, etc.

BTW: before starting on a long trip in the car, double check that your
contract says you have unlimited mileage.  Once I got a car in SF to
drive to and return in LA, and the contract said something like 25
cents per mile.  I all I had to do was call them and they immediately
changed the rate plan.

Doug