Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental

To: Nick Brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:56:52 -0500
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 9:31 AM, Nick Brearley <nick@landform.co.uk> wrote:
> Sorry for the OT but I'd be very grateful for any input on this one.
>
> Been planning a West Coast trip next February. Looking for car rental rates
> National kept on coming up significantly cheaper

It's been a while since I rented from National specifically, but I
don't recall any problems generally.  But here's some tips for renting
a car in the US:

Take pictures all around the car, both before and after, including the
odometer.  Keep 'em for six months, at least.

Make sure all the existing damage is noted on the rental form - don't
take someone's word for it that "it's too small to worry about".

If you fill the car up before you return it, make sure to keep the
receipt for six months.

Some rental companies like to bill you later for damage and fuel, long
after you've returned home.  If you didn't do it, you want to have
something to show them.

Enjoy your trip!

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.