Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental

To: Nick Brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Question on car rental
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 14:36:14 -0700
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
On 12/2/2012 7:31 AM, Nick Brearley wrote:
> Sorry for the OT but I'd be very grateful for any input on this one.
>
> Been planning a West Coast trip next February. Looking for car rental
> rates National kept on coming up significantly cheaper (~40%), even
> after allowing for unlimited mileage, one way dropoff and various
> insurance gotchas. If anyone has any experience or advice about
> dealing with National I'd be very interested to hear it. Looking at
> consumer websites gives the usual spread from perfect to terrible.

In addition to all the previous caveats, be aware that many rental
companies now have GPS tracking in their cars, and even if you buy daily
insurance from them, if they offer unlimited mileage, it's only for
their region of operation (usually specified in the small print).  So,
rent a car in southern California and decide to take a day trip to
Vegas, they'll whack you later for additional charges for crossing the
border into Nevada.  And don't even think about a trip to Tijuana....

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....