Re: [Shop-talk] Putting floor in attic - can't fit 4x8 sheets

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Putting floor in attic - can't fit 4x8 sheets
From: "Peter J. Thomas" <pj_thomas@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 21:52:31 -0400
Cc: shop-talk List <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Sender: shop-talk-bounces@autox.team.net
On 5/28/2012 7:50 AM, Jim Franklin wrote:
16oc spans, 5/8 or 3/4 plywood/osb, storage of "stuff" i.e. dead loads.

I like t&g so I know I'm not going to overload an edge accidentally, or if the
next owner wants to use it for live loads and won't curse me like I'm cursing
the PO for using 1/2" and 3/8"). But not enough to buy a router and set up a
table to route all these boards :-)

The blocking ideas would work but there's insulation in the way.

Sounds like butt edges will be good enough!
If you can get 4'x4' sheets up there, then cutting T&G 4x8 sheets in half is what I would do. Reassemble the two 4x4 into a 4x8 sheet with the cut over a joist where you really don't need the T&G. This way you still have T&G joints perpendicular to the joists. Also stagger the sheets so the cuts on the same joist. Usually with 4x8 you stagger the each sheet by 4 feet; start row with a full sheet and the next row with a half sheet. In your case I would stagger the second row by only 16" and the third row by 32"

Peter T.

jim