[Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question

Subject: [Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question
From: kvacek at ameritech.net (Karl Vacek)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 09:08:15 -0500
John,

Blasting quickly takes a huge amount of air - as someone else said, it's
like computer RAM - you could always use more.

I have that exact cabinet - certainly one of the nicest things Harbor
Freight has ever offered.  My compressor is a 2-stage, "real" 2-HP motor (a
little over 12 amps at 220V single-phase) and puts out about 7 SCFM.
Handles my old-style paint guns just fine - the ones that take 7 SCFM - I
can paint all day without any problem.

But for blasting, I use the smallest nozzle of the several that come with
the cabinet, and I can only blast for a few minutes at decent pressure and
then it gets to the less-effective pressure range. If I just keep blasting
the compressor will be able to keep it a little above 60 PSI,.  It works,
especially on very light rust or thin paint, but that's just not enough to
blast most things off very quickly.

Soon I hope to get a new pump for my 5-HP, 80-gallon upright compressor, and
I anticipate that will be just about enough for average blasting.  Even with
that though, I'll probably have to do the toughest jobs in spurts, while the
tank is at or near max pressure, and then wait for it to build back up
again.

Karl