[Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question

Subject: [Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:37:03 +0000 (UTC)
Probably not. My dad has a large IR 2-stage; probably a 'real' 7HP or greater
on I believe (at least) a 60-gal tank (maybe 80). It struggles to keep up with
his blast cabinet--the compressor is off for the first 5min or so of blasting,
then has to run almost continuously thereafter.

>From what I know of fluid dynamics--not much--I've always wondered what a
>large tank offers. Yes, the tank will put out more air before it reaches min
>pressure and the compressor fires, but then the compressor has to run longer
>to replace the volume of air lost.

Seems to me you need the most powerful compressor you can get, regardless of
tank size, so the compressor can replenish the tank quickly then get a rest
cycle. I think the 'HP' and 'gallons' numbers aren't particularly relevant;
what you need to know is what volume of air at what pressure the compressor can
put out (maybe that's the second set of numbers you mentioned; it's not clear
to me). The tank just 'buffers' the air flow.

Maybe a guru can enlighten us.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA