[Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question

Subject: [Shop-talk] compressor/sandblast guru question
From: jblair1948 at cox.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 18:16:42 -0400
At 11:42 AM 4/20/2012, John Niolon wrote:

 >Ibve got a Quincy 310 compressor sitting on a 80 gallon tank... using a 5 hp
 >motor.  Itbs turning about 800 rpm the rating is 3.9 to 9.6 ACFM @
175psig
 >with a 2-3 hp motor...

 >Ibm wondering if it will handle a small (bench top) or small upright sand
 >blast cabinet without laboring it to death

John,

For starters compressors are a lot like computer memory, disk size, and money;
you never have enough.

That said, I run a blast cabinet and a pressure blaster (not at the same time)
with my craftsman 30 gal, 5 hp 110psi compressor.  I can blow more air than my
compressor can make, so every 5 to 15 minuites I have to take a break and let
the compressor catch up.

But one thing no one has mentioned, is the size of the nozzle.  For a
hobbiest,
use the smallest (dia.) you can get.  Then as it wears, and opens,
you will use
more and more air.  You blasting will get slower and slower.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ     email:  jblair1948 at cox.net

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction