[Shop-talk] Single Post Parking Lift

Subject: [Shop-talk] Single Post Parking Lift
From: fitzgibbon3 at comcast.net (Tom & Marge FitzGibbon)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:41:54 +0000 (UTC)
Mike,

Hopefully Eric will provide a more technical and complete answer, but I have
always been told that cars are intended to rest on their suspensions and
long-term storage with the wheels unsupported is bad for the suspension. I'm
not sure why it is bad, just that it is. I don't think it will cause harm if
you support a car on jacks for a couple of days, or leave it on a 2-post lift
for a couple of days, but you don;t want to do that long-term. That's a benefit
of the 4-post lifts - you can use them for both storage and, with a rolling
jack or jack on the appropriate pan (the name escapes me at the moment) that
fits between the side rails, service. (The single post lift I'm looking at is
useless for service, but has a nice small footprint for storage.) Whenever you
store a car long-term with its tires not in contact with the ground (or lift)
you want to support the suspension with jack stands.

Tom