[Shop-talk] computer virus question

Subject: [Shop-talk] computer virus question
From: jniolon at att.net (John Niolon)
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 20:08:28 -0600
my work computer took a dump... it would not access the internet even though
the wireless modem and the hot spot card were talking...  took it to the geek
squad and they said it was full of viruses and one of them ate my op system
files and the proxy config for the internet...

asked why my avg virus didn't catch it... they said they (the virus writers)
write them to get past them... well duh...

so I'm getting a new box... but I'm wondering what software I can find to
clean up the old system and make it useable again...  anything I can download
(without a virus) that might work at cleaning it up...   I run my avg and keep
it up to date... use malware and spyware watchers also... I'm still wondering
what happened...  I'm not as savy as I used to be on this stuff...

suggestions or offers of rope to tie to this anchor...

tia
john

I'm sarcastic... what's your superpower ?