[Shop-talk] Painting inside a chassis

Subject: [Shop-talk] Painting inside a chassis
From: ejrussell at mebtel.net (ejrussell at mebtel.net)
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 23:32:25 -0500
Seeking opinions about painting the chassis of my MGA. The chassis is
box sections and of course the inside never received any
rust-proofing/paint etc in 1960. As I am finishing up the repairs
needed I would like to get something inside to preserve it for the next
50 years.

I have a rotisserie that easily allows me to turn the chassis 360
degrees along its length.

My thought is to buy some Rustoleum 'rusty metal' primer, thin it a bit
and pour some into the box sections via existing access holes (after
closing other holes with tape) then turn the chassis and try get the
paint to coat as much of the inside as possible.

POR 15 would probably be a better product to treat rusty metal but that
is much more expensive.

Eastwood sells a spray in product with extension wands but again a bit
pricey at ~$20/can X 4-6 cans needed.

Opinions - is the Rustoleum stuff worth using? Spring for some POR15?
Other ideas?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC