Re: [Shop-talk] Painting inside a chassis

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Painting inside a chassis
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 14:52:55 -0500
At 11:32 PM 1/3/2012, ejrussell@mebtel.net wrote:

 >Seeking opinions about painting the chassis of my MGA. The chassis is box
 >sections and of course the inside never received any
rust-proofing/paint etc in
 >1960. As I am finishing up the repairs needed I would like to get something
 >inside to preserve it for the next 50 years.

Eric,

Did you clean out the inside of the box chassis?

When I was redoing the box chassis on my Bricklin, I found the best
way to clean
the inside was to cut the a couple of feed of a cheap plumbers snake
chuck it in a drill, slide the head into the chassis, turn the drill
on, and let the head bead the inside of the box channel up.  Did a
good job on breaking the rust up.  Then Vac.
and blew the trash out of the boxes.

I tried to use an undercoating gun and spray the insided of the
chassis but didn't
have much luck with that.  I ended up pouring paint into the chassis
and tying a
sock on the end of a long piece of brake tubing and using  that as a
paint brush.

I don't remember weither I used Rustoleium or Por15.  I did use both on the
chassis and parts.

John

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229

                        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org

 From Dennis Prager - The American Trilogy:
      e pluribus Unum, "from many, one."
      In God We Trust
      Liberty - the  power  of  choosing,  thinking,  and  acting  for
                   oneself; freedom  from  control  or  restriction

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums