[Shop-talk] Air Compressors

Subject: [Shop-talk] Air Compressors
From: bjshov8 at tx.rr.com (bjshov8 at tx.rr.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:03:20 -0500
Based on limited information I would choose the C-H.

Have you considered DeWalt?  They make products in this same range.  Also I
notice if you search the Sears website they sell a lot of expensive brands of
compressors that they don't stock in their stores.  OK, I just looked and they
have their "Craftsman Professional" that are in the same size and price range
as
the ones you list, and look very similar.  They also have brands like
Ingersoll-Rand which used to be top brands in air tools, but the comparable I-R
compressor is double the price of the ones that you list.

What I do is to read the user reviews and total them up.  I figure if a person
gives a 1 or 2 rating then they are extremely displeased with the product and I
don't want to be in that position, but the people that give at least a 3 are
not
that displeased.  All 3 of the units you list have a reasonable amount of
reviews and the reviews total as follows:
Husky:  5 out of 36 gave 1 or 2, that is 14%1
Kobalt:  5 out of 23 gave 1 or 2, that is 22%
C-H:  1 out of 24 gave 1 or 2, that is 4%
Based on that the C-H is the winner.

I was wanting a small compressor for Christmas also, but with much less budget
than you.  I wanted to be able to air up tires, run a nail gun, run small air
tools up to running a good impact wrench for a few seconds to break loose
something that I can't do by hand.  I worked in a garage quite a bit but for a
lot of my work I prefer to do it by hand rather than use an impact wrench, but
there are times when only an impact wrench will do.  Also I've read that a good
impact wrench will do the job with much less air flow than a real cheap air
wrench, so I would probably buy a good wrench when the need arises.  And lastly
I don't have a lot of room for the compressor.  After some research I didn't
find anything at Sears that I would accept.  I did find a small C-H at Lowes
and
a small Husky at Home Depot.  In the process of doing my research I discovered
that C-H is an American company that makes compressors, Husky and Kobalt are
rebrands sold by Home Depot and Lowes.  Granted some of the products that C-H
sell may very well be made in China but I wonder if being an American company,
parts would be easier to get.

Another thing I discovered in my research is that the cheaper compressors are
not a worry-free purchase.  They seem to have a high degree of problems.  Maybe
some of the problems can be fixed by a handyman, maybe not.  I could not
justify
spending 2 or 3 times as much for my home use or I would do it, but I do intend
to purchase an extended warranty.  Maybe in your price range they are more
dependable.  My father has owned his garage for over 50 years and I don't ever
recall him having trouble with his air compressor.  It is a big monster that
does what it is supposed to do, nothing less.