[Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)

Subject: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)
From: cavanadd at frontier.com (David C.)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:33:16 -0800
Todd Walke wrote:
> They're a sole proprietorship, not a huge chain so their employees are
> not 18-year-old, $10-an-hour hacks who just mount tires as fast as they
> can with no regard to quality of work (my biggest complaint with the
> large chains).

And speaking of which, and totally off topic...

As Todd and the other PNW members know, Les Schwab is a chain in the
Northwest, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana mostly.  It's owned by
the Schwab family, and the stores are a mix of franchises and company
owned stores.  The upside is they hire local high school kids, teach
them to hustle, make them shave and cut their hair, and they generally
have pretty decent prices on tires.  They also fix flats for free,
forever.  Because I'm lazy I buy most of my tires from them, except for
a set of Jeep tires a few years ago I got through Discount.  But each
store can be different.  My wife got a slow leak in one of her Subaru
Forester tires and took it to the closest Schwab.  They immediately told
her it was in the sidewall and couldn't be fixed, and they had to sell
her a whole new set of tires (AWD, ya know....).  BS.  She took it to
the second closest store, and they didn't bat an eye, just took it off,
patched it and sent her on her way...for nothing...and this was on the
OEM tires.  So it does pay to shop around.