[Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)

Subject: [Shop-talk] Buying tires online (or is it Tyres?)
From: Jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim and Kathy)
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:22:12 -0600
I have had good experience with TireRack too, but also learned something
important the first time I used them.  I ordered the tires and then made an
appointment with one of their listed installers to have the tires mounted
locally.  He told me the only reason he worked with TR was to get new
customers and that he could generally beat their prices.  After that, I would
shop TR and then give him a call.  There were some tires he couldn't touch
(IIRC, TR sold Continental tires for my BMW for less than he could buy them),
but he could almost always do better.

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 20, 2011, at 9:04 AM, Wayne <wmc_st at xxiii.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/2011 10:31 AM, eric at megageek.com wrote:
>> I needed to buy a bunch of truck tires for different vehicles.
>> Does anyone have any recommendations for places to buy them online that
>> are cheap?
>
> I can not say enough good stuff about Tire Rack, and have ordered probably
over a dozen sets or pairs of tires from them in the last 20 years.  OTOH,
with a little haggling, you may be able to get a local place to price match,
and I do like to keep my business local.

> Getting them mounted can be a pain.  Some tire vendors are very adverse to
mounting carry-ins.  what I've found to work well is go on really slow days,
like Tues or Thurs;  they probably have guys they're p[aying by the hour
standing around doing nothing, and at that point they're more than happy to
take your money and mount & balance.  Fridays and Saturdays are probably the
most busy, and they're likely to tell you to piss off.