[Shop-talk] best residential mower

Subject: [Shop-talk] best residential mower
From: parkanzky at gmail.com (Paul Parkanzky)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 10:10:34 -0400
I've got a John Deere LX188 (48" mulching deck) that's been a pretty good
mower for the past 18 years (it was my father's).  He upgraded to a John
Deere X360 (I think) a few years ago.  It's 22 HP and has a 48" deck.  He
passed away a couple months ago and I mowed for my mother a few weeks ago
and it is a really nice mower.  It felt like it had a ton of power compared
to the 17 HP LX188 and was really pleasant to use.  I made fun of the cruise
control until I used it, but then I really liked it.  If I were in the
market for a lawn tractor right now, that would probably be the one.

The nice thing about the John Deere mowers (The "real" ones from the
dealerships) is that they seem to have better fit/finish and build quality
and the support for them is fantastic.  I rebuilt the deck on the LX188 and
they had the parts I needed in stock and for what I thought were reasonable
prices.  They didn't have the carb rebuild kit, but they got it for me in a
few days.  I doubt that I'd have as easy a time hunting down parts for an 18
year old Toro or Snapper or whatever.

-Paul