[Shop-talk] metallic smelling water

Subject: [Shop-talk] metallic smelling water
From: jibjib at att.net (Jack Brooks)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 21:00:21 -0700
Tim,

Certain types of water combined with certain anodes can create a metallic
taste/smell.  I don't know why it would come on all of a sudden, but
checking the neighbors water too would be a great place to start.

With regard to the anode, if it's a separate anode, you may find what looks
like a bolt head, potentially with a bump in the middle of the head, under
the insulation under the metal top cap, but within a hole.  It may also be
that your water heater, like my Bradford-White has the anode integral with
the hot water outlet.  Look it up on the web, by Model number.

I could not find the integral anode in a local store, so I called
Bradford-White and they hooked me up with a local dealer at a reasonable
price.

Jack