[Shop-talk] metallic smelling water

Subject: [Shop-talk] metallic smelling water
From: pj_thomas at comcast.net (Peter J. Thomas)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 14:12:47 -0400
On 9/14/2011 12:27 PM, Tim wrote:
> We've been in this house for over five years now and in the village
> proper for well over ten (good city water that is not high in iron,
> etc). The softener has plenty of salt and works fine and shouldn't
> need to regen.
But is it bypassed?

> Is there any chance this is from the anode rod being gone and the
> inside of the tank starting to rust?
That's a possibility.  Maybe that the anode is gone and the meter change
are a coincidence. Good check is to compare hot and cold water.  Fill
two glasses, one hot, one cold and let sit to reach room temperature.
If both smell like metal, may not be the anode since the cold water does
not go through the heater.

Peter T.