Re: [Shop-talk] the continuing water saga

To: "Scott Hall" <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] the continuing water saga
From: "Arvid Jedlicka" <arvidj@visi.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 14:47:18 -0500
I can give you data from my air cooled after cooler that might be relevant
... or maybe not.

When I bought my air compressor I opted for the air cooled after cooler. It
is designed specifically for the application. It is 18 inches wide, 8 inches
high and 1.5 inches thick. It has 1 inch inlets and outlets and has 15
[guesstimate] 3/8 inch outside diameter finned tubes running from the inlet
to the outlet manifold. It rated for 35 CFM though the pressure drop at that
flow rate was not stated. It is mounted on the belt guard and is right next
to the large pump pulley. The pulley acts as a fan to draw air over the
cooler and the pump when it runs. The compressor is in the basement so the
ambient temperature is right around 70 all year.

I do remember being somewhat awestruck by both how high the input
temperature was ... I expected lower ... and how low the output temperature
was ... considerably lower than what I had expected given the simplicity of
the setup.  The inlet is well past 200 degrees ... the exact value escapes
me at the moment but 250 to 260 seems to ring a bell ... and the outlet was
under 80 degrees ... again 76 seemed to be what I remember.

I have a refrigerator unit, Have not had a problem with water ... other than
the auto drain isn't as auto as it should be ... so I have never gotten
around to hooking it up. Probably should be a Craig's List item.

I'd forgo the hassle of the water drum and simply use a big fan.

Arvid