Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy/JB Weld on auto a/c line?

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Epoxy/JB Weld on auto a/c line?
From: "Elton E. (Tony) Clark" <eltonclark@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 00:28:50 -0500
*
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:

> > I suspect the hole is larger than 0.002", but lets just assume that it
> > is 0.031" which is about 1/32" (still pretty darned small).  At 200 psi
> > that is a net pressure on the patch of about 2.5 ounces.

*Wait!  Scott says the hole is too little to see!  Let's imagine it's .003,
the area would be 70 millionths of an inch and the pressure @ 300 psi would
only be .002 psi!  I think JB **would hold it with a beer can patch and a
clamp and save having to open the system, evacuate and recharge. *

 >Tony's solution might work, but the clamp needs to contribute
> >considerable
> >strength.  Since you'll have to open the system anyway, I'd go >with
> cutting
> >the line and inserting a union of some sort.

*If you DO have to open the system and a new hose it hugely
expensive,  Randall's union  fix would be  very correct and intelligent; it
would be very little more difficult and it would be a lasting &
professional-appearing fix .  A hydraulic hose repair shop will have the
union unless it's a weird size and it will work unless there are bends in
the holed area.*
*Tony*