Re: [Shop-talk] Mitre Saws

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Mitre Saws
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 07:38:19 -0400
Steve asks...

>Are things very different where you guys live?  Or am
>I just doing it wrong?

Excellent summary of the used markets, but you are overlooking the fact
that is really the fun/educational part of the purchase.

With the internet, read a ton about the tools.  Read reviews, advice, and
anything else you can find out about it.
When I look for big ticket items, that's what I do.  Then I don't resign
myself to any purchase until I've fully researched it.
This past winter, I managed two excellent deals this way.  One was a tree
spade.  Normally over $2000 used, but I found one perfect for my needs for
$900.  I drove to MD to get it.  But in the process, I made a great
contact in the tree market world and I am very pleased with it.
The other was a chipper/shredder for a 3pt mount.  Normally these things
start at $3000 USED.  But by reading all I could and researching them to
death, I found a medical supply company that makes them on the side when
business is slow.  They were right here in NJ!
I went to the owner of the companies house (WAY nice) and picked up a
brand new one, for $1200.  No tax either.
Plus, the machine is made with medical quality/grade materials.  It is way
nicer then the majority of them on the market for a 3rd of the price.

Along the way in both research phases I learned alot about what to look
for and what to stay away from.  Some of that information comes from right
here.

Failing finding all this information, if you know nothing about a tool,
don't buy it unless you get a stupid deal on it (and you will not be upset
if it turns out to be less than perfect later.)  Also, make the seller
show you it working.  If they aren't willing to do that, walk away.

Moose
Waldo Emerson

Forums: http://www.team.net/forums