[Shop-talk] torque wrench calilbration

Subject: [Shop-talk] torque wrench calilbration
From: parkanzky at gmail.com (Paul Parkanzky)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:53:51 -0500
In my world (Regulated pharmaceutical manufacturing), Calibration is
the process of making adjustments to bring something into tolerance.
Verification is what you are doing to see whether or not the
instrument is within tolerance.

-Paul

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:32 PM, Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:
> You speak with a great deal of certainly, so I won't dispute that, but the
calibration techniques I'm familiar with measure the wrench's indicated torque
against a calibrated strain gauge (which itself must be calibrated, etc.). I
don't see why you couldn't at least get a calibration card for a beam-style
wrench; e.g. the wrench indicates 50lb-ft, and the strain gauge measures 52,
so you know your wrench reads a bit low in the 50lb-ft range.

> To me, 'calibration' means comparing to a known quantity. Adjustment means
bring them into agreement.

> Bob

> Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA
>

> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Check your local yellow pages under 'scientific,' 'laboratories,'
>> 'calibration,' etc.
>>
>> Also, if you have a general aviation airport nearby call the Fixed Base
>> Operator ('FBO') or flight school. Torque wrenches used on aircraft have
>> be calibrated regularly--once a year, I think--and an Airframe &
Powerplant