[Shop-talk] torque wrench calilbration

Subject: [Shop-talk] torque wrench calilbration
From: bspidell at comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2011 17:32:47 +0000 (UTC)
You speak with a great deal of certainly, so I won't dispute that, but the
calibration techniques I'm familiar with measure the wrench's indicated torque
against a calibrated strain gauge (which itself must be calibrated, etc.). I
don't see why you couldn't at least get a calibration card for a beam-style
wrench; e.g. the wrench indicates 50lb-ft, and the strain gauge measures 52, so
you know your wrench reads a bit low in the 50lb-ft range.

To me, 'calibration' means comparing to a known quantity. Adjustment means
bring them into agreement.

Bob

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:
> Check your local yellow pages under 'scientific,' 'laboratories,'
> 'calibration,' etc.
>
> Also, if you have a general aviation airport nearby call the Fixed Base
> Operator ('FBO') or flight school. Torque wrenches used on aircraft have to
> be calibrated regularly--once a year, I think--and an Airframe & Powerplant
> ('A&P') mechanic would know where to get it done.
>
> Last I checked it cost about $25.

You can't calibrate, nor even certify accuracy of, a beam style torque wrench.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt at gmail.com