Re: [Shop-talk] gah. Moron press.

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] gah. Moron press.
From: Tom & Marge FitzGibbon <fitzgibbon3@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 14:18:05 +0000 (UTC)
Forgive the heresy, but gutter cleaning is one I agree should be left to the
pros, unless you live in a single story ranch. Not because the task itself is
difficult, but because of the need to use a ladder and the fact that too many
people do not know how to use one properly or safely and try to work alone
without a spotter to steady the ladder.

I'm a volunteer EMT in a small town with no major highways, and the worst
trauma cases we have had in our town over the last few years have all involved
falls from ladders. In fact, the only time I can remember we needed to
transport someone by helicopter ambulance from our town was after a fall from a
ladder. Last year, a very experienced and competent professional fire fighter
from a couple of towns over fell from a ladder while working around his house
and died. Now, I will admit I do not like climbing ladders more than 6 or 8
feet tall and perhaps that colors my judgement, but unless you use a lot of
care and caution when cleaning the gutters on a second (or third) story roof it
really can be quite dangerous. The $30 it costs me to have someone clean my
gutters is cheap compared to my insurance deductible or the cost of a wheel
chair (or casket).

Tom