[Shop-talk] Replacing a damaged helicoil

Subject: [Shop-talk] Replacing a damaged helicoil
From: jandkstone99 at msn.com (Jim Stone)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:03:28 -0600
Well, the coil is out, but it wasn't easy and it wasn't pretty.  It didn't
unscrew so much as unravel.  In pieces.  (I tried one of my Easyouts to start,
but the hole isn't deep enough to allow any of the threads on even my largest
one to grab anything.)  Gabbing an end with a needle nose and unscrewing
resulted in it coming out in about three pieces.  It never unscrewed - the
pliers just made it small enough to pull out a piece without severely damaging
the threads.

So, now I am on to the next problem: replacing it.  I am off to NAPA to buy a
replacement, but I don't expect this to be a walk in the park either.  I know
now why the original failed. The thread hole is slightly enlarged around the
outside edge of the coil, meaning the threads are only holding on the bottom.
I think that lead to the damage that was preventing me from screwing the stud
in and my struggles with the pliers only made it worse.  To compound the
problem, depth of the thread is limited by a head bolt that goes right through
the hole, so I won't be able to use a punch to remove the tang on the coil.
Right now I am thinking of screwing the coil in and leaving the tang; it can't
be snapped off by the stud as the head bolt will stop it from moving.  I am
also thinking about packing the flared outside end with a little JB Weld.  It
don't expect that to add any real strength, but it might prevent the new coil
from unraveling the next time around.

At least, that is what I am thinking at the moment, but would appreciate any
thoughts or opinions.

Jim