[Shop-talk] Plasma cutters

Subject: [Shop-talk] Plasma cutters
From: vlm at te-motorworks.com (Vincent Marshall)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 14:38:18 -0500
Plasma cutters are incredibly useful, especially for thin material and for
aluminum in general.  They're also useful  for making sort of surgical cuts to
undo something you've tacked together and later messed up.   I have a Miller
Spectrum something or other which I use all the time.  But, for thicker steel
like the 1/4" steel plate you mention, and definitely for 1/2" and thicker
steel plate, you'll find that you can do an entirely passable job with an
oxy-fuel cutting torch and some practice.  The gas cutting setup will cost you
a lot less than a decently sized plasma cutter.

To answer your question though - all you need are  sources of electricity and
compressed air, the plasma unit itself, and some safety gear.  They are very
easy to use.  You'll be up to speed in minutes.

-vin